The human mouth has one tongue, 32 teeth, and gums, which allows us to communicate (verbally and non-verbally) and gives us the ability to chew, swallow, and digest our food.
While it may seem simple, has been created a list of 25 facts about your mouth you probably didn’t know:
- Without saliva, we would not be able to taste anything.
- The inside of your mouth contains as many bacteria as there are people on Earth.
- Teeth start to form before you are even born but don’t come through until you are between 6 – 12 months old.
- Children have 20 teeth while adults have 32.
- Many diseases are linked to oral health including heart disease, diabetes and osteoporosis.
- Close your mouth while swimming because chlorine can wear down enamel.
- Plaque is a residue that is made up of excess bacteria in the mouth.
- The tongue is the only muscle in the human body that works without any support from the skeleton.
- One third of your tooth is hidden underneath your gums.
- Green tea contains antiseptic properties, which can help to keep your gums healthy.
- There are approximately 10,000 taste buds in our mouth, of which most are located on the tongue.
- No two people have the same set of teeth. A person’s teeth are as unique as their fingerprint.
- We produce about 37,854 litres of saliva during our lives – enough to fill two swimming pools.
- An average person spends 38.5 days brushing their teeth over the course of their lifetime
- Smiling helps you live longer. Every time you smile, your body produces greater amounts of antibodies, giving you an immunity boost.
- The enamel on the surfaces of your teeth is the hardest substance in your whole body.
- We have four different types of teeth in our mouth: incisors, canine, premolars and molars.
- Teeth, like your bones, are alive. They have their own blood supply and nerves. A tooth can die.
- Relative to its size, the tongue is the strongest muscle in the human body.
- If you’re right handed, you tend to chew your food on your right side. If you’re left handed, you favor chewing on your left side.
- If you don’t floss, you miss cleaning approximately 40% of the surfaces of your teeth.
- Surveys indicate that 50% of people say that someone’s smile is the first thing they notice.
- A tooth that gets knocked out will begin to die within 15 minutes.
- Humans have two sets of teeth in their lifetime, whereas sharks have 40.
- Modern toothpaste has only been available for the past 100 years.
My BEST Dentists Journal Headlines